Friday, January 2, 2015

#HaveAHeart

You do not know me, and I prefer it that way because too many people these days have a tenancy to per-judge or determine who a person is simply by their looks. If one has long hair, tattoos and a leather jacket you look at them as a mean biker, but do not take time to know that he road 4,000 miles last year for charities, or that he took his own money and bought Christmas presents for the kids in the Cancer unit. If you see a person who needs a haircut and a bath, and is standing on the corner with a cup and a sign, you tend to ask yourself how someone could be so lazy as to let themselves get in that shape. But, you do not know that before his wife passed away, and he was so heartbroken he let his life fall apart and lost everything....even his framed case of medals from 9 years of fighting in Vietnam .....even his Medal of Honor and 3 Purple Hearts. Or maybe you looked at the woman walking down the street with 2 young children and a 10 month old, barely clothed, thinking she should be ashamed that she doesn't have cots on her kids and they look to need a meal. But had you asked, she chose to leave an abusive husband who beat them all in a daily drunken rage, and just chose to get out regardless. Her thoughts of survival verses death, was simply a choice she “Had” to make.

OK, back to me. Who am at this point in my life, I don't even know. My life has been so twisted through the years that even a good shrink would be confused. But, I do know that with not a dime in my pocket, and barely a place to lay my head at night, I will forever fight for others and there rights. I do not judge, I do not question, I only offer a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, or a hand to guide them to someone who can help them more that I can. You do not have to drop money out into a cup, or buy someone a gift, or even provide a meal. Yes, that is a good thing! But, you don't have to. You can help them by simply caring enough to listen and help them with their “problem”. I have found that more often than not, it is really better to sometimes just listen and give them a little self-esteem boost, or guide them to some way of allowing them to help themselves. I guess my point is, just help. But be careful not to appear condescending, that will hurt more than help.

This is not a a mind blowing blog or anything like that. I just want you to know (if you have read this far) that you do not have to be rich to help. You don't even need money, just #HaveAHeart, #DoNotJudge #AllLivesMatter.

Below are some helpful links and tips for you to get involved or to pass on to someone who may need assistance!

Tips to help!

  • If you know someone who is homeless or needs a way to communicat, give them an old Smart Phone. They can use it at public WiFi spots without activation to text or surf web for places to get help.
  • Stop by the homeless shelter near you at lunch. They usually do not give out lunches, so by simply finding out how many are hanging around you can spend less than $20 dollars and buy some dollar burgers and some cheap fruit drinks.
  • If you are around someone that you know who is a veteran, ask if they need a ride to the VA hospital anytime, or need to pick up a prescription from the VA. It's just a ride that will only take a little gas and time!


No comments:

Post a Comment